It’s still pretty hard to believe that 2014 is coming to a close. It’s definitely been a whirlwind of a year and I’m a little scared for what 2015 will bring since I will be graduating college and such. 2014 has been good and brought a lot of lessons, so here are some of my favorite things.
What I’ve Learned
- As you get older, it is better to focus on yourself. Achieve your dreams and don’t stop your life just for anyone.
- If you push yourself, something great will happen.
- Sometimes the best advice comes from unlikely people, be nice to everyone and listen to what they have to say.
What I Listened To
It was such a great year in music and there’s a lot of music that I loved but here are some of my favorites.
- Southlen | Young Hearts – Obviously, I love Southlen and this EP was such a great follow to their full length.
- Arctic Monkeys | AM – Technically this wasn’t released this year but I fell in love with it and saw them live this year, so there.
- Johnnyswim | Diamonds – LOVE. If you love folksy type music with powerful vocals and meaningful lyrics, then listen to this album!
- Lorde & Friends – I was debating whether to put her or not, but I genuinely fell in love with her music this year and she’s good. The reason I added the “& friends” part was because she absolutely killed it on the Mockingjay soundtrack. “Meltdown” and “Dead Air” are probably my favorite songs.
What I Watched
There’s nothing I love more than movies! This year had a lot of movies that I was dying to see and they did not disappoint.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 1 – Probably the most intense film adaptation, and closest to the book. It played with my feelings and it was so worth it.
- The Maze Runner – I was waiting for this ever since they pushed back its original release date. It did not disappoint. All the characters were true to the book and it was entertaining as heck. Fun Fact: My sister got me the dvd for Christmas but I had already bought myself a copy 🙁 Sorry sister!
- The Fault in Our Stars – The biggest tear-jerker of the year. I had to watch this a second time to fully decide I liked it, just because the first time I had a lot of yelling teenagers and I couldn’t focus. Definitely sad and came with a killer soundtrack.
- Gone Girl – I forced myself to speed read the book before watching the movie, just because I get so anxious. The movie was amazing! Everyone did such an amazing job and it leaves you with this crazy feeling at the end.
What I Read
I got a lot of books in this year, which I was really proud of
- Sarah Dessen – I read all of her books, not even kidding. I grew to love her stories just because they felt real and dealt with important situations in people’s lives and she interlaps her characters in her books! Which is really cool. Her books definitely make you see into yourself and why you make certain decisions.
- E. Lockhart | “We Were Liars” – So I kept hearing about this book so I knew I had to take a look at it. Probably now one of my favorite books of all time. It’s crazy and has so many plot twists and the foreshadows are amazing. It’s intense and I had to stop a beat after I finished just to recover my thoughts.
- Gillian Flynn | “Gone Girl” – I loved the movie and the book was just as amazing. Obviously the book expands so much more on the story so you get to see how and why things went down the way they did. Certain parts changed your perspective of people and it’s just an overall thriller.
Favorite Blogs + Youtubers + Instagrammers
Of course I had to include some of my favorite bloggers, youtubers, and instagrammers because they keep me inspired! On my personal blog some of my favorite posts were my 21st birthday OOTD and recap, a summer look (which is probably my best fashion post), and interestingly enough, my very first adventure post of 2014.
Endless Bliss – Tiffany is by far one of the sweetest girl I have encountered. Her posts and comments are always encouraging and she talks about books, which is my favorite thing. Glad I got to follow her blog this year.
Glittering Eyes Blog – If you want a terrible case of wanderlust, check out Zoe’s blog! She’s been abroad and reading about her adventures were so entertaining. Super fun reads!
MyLifeasEva – Just because she’s a fellow OC girl and she’s super creative.
Nicole Guerriero – I met her last year at BeautyCon but I’ve been following her much more this year. Her hair is basically perfect and I wish I can do makeup half as awesome as her.
Instagrammers (Which is definitely not a word)
SincerelyJules (Julie Sariñana) – She makes living in LA look like the greatest time. Her pictures and style are absolutely amazing and she practically lives the life I want.
AsianAlyssa (Alyssa Lenore) – She’s probably my favorite style account I follow. Her pictures with her boyfriend basically have #relationshipgoals written all over them and her clothes are so perfect.
Favorite Moments of 2014
This year has been such a blast and I have encountered tons of new people and crazy experiences, so here are some of my favorites.
- Having a hotel room at the Andaz in West Hollywood and strolling down Sunset Blvd. and then taking pictures of a band at the House of Blues.
- All the times I went to Universal Studios (I have a pass that expires by the end of the year). Bonus: The one time I went to Sea World.
- All the adventures to new coffee places and ending a day at the beach just to mediate.
- Being the editor-in-chief of my university’s newspaper.
A lot of things happened this year and I’m truly grateful for all it brought. I’m excited and scared for 2015 but bring it on. Cheers to a happy new year. I hope everyone has a great 2015 and achieve all your goals!